Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/tonyakay/public_html/phpbb3/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
The Lonely Garden • View topic - kombucha SCOBYs

<  raw foods  ~  kombucha SCOBYs

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:18 pm
User avatarGreen HouseJoined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:17 pmPosts: 241Location: wonderland
for anyone interested in finding a scoby- i just found this great site related to just that:

http://www.kombu.de/suche2.htm#usa

scroll down to view the offers... sooo many- all over the world. many ship for nominal costs. most are free for pick-up.

i can't wait to ferment my own!

"... And so it was indeed: she was now only ten inches high, and her face brightened up at the thought that she was now the right size for going through the little door into that lovely garden...." ~ Lewis Carroll
Offline Profile Send private message
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:45 pm
User avatarGreen HouseJoined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:17 pmPosts: 241Location: wonderland
i just bottled my second batch of kombucha since i adopted a scoby a while ago... it's yummy, but the first batch was tea-er and i like that. note to self- steep longer next time.

anyhoo- i need to know if any of you gardeners who brew your own kombucha have any advice regarding the storage and temperature of a scoby that's not being used.
1- i am moving when i would be brewing, and cannot disturb the scoby, so i want to put it on hold- can it live in the fridge safely, without hurting it's active cultures? and how to store it so it does not suffocate?
2- how in the hell do i mail a cute baby scoby to my friend across the usa? i spilled the mother juice all over town when i adopted my first scoby!

"... And so it was indeed: she was now only ten inches high, and her face brightened up at the thought that she was now the right size for going through the little door into that lovely garden...." ~ Lewis Carroll
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:18 pm
i just poured some spirulina-infused kombucha into a cup, and wowsers- that's tasty! don't be afraid to experiment with new flavors!

how to mail a scoby:

1] place scoby and at least 1 cup of brewed kombucha into a plastic zippy bag. get most air out before zipping, but since the baby needs to breathe, leave some room for that purpose. now bag again and again. then wrap seams with packing tape.
2] in small box, cushion packed scoby with tissue or newspaper. make sure it's taped up snuggly and with care.
3] ship via priority mail- be sure to tell your local postal worker that tea is inside, [and a culture,] so there's no suspicion if it's leaky- goddess forbid.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:17 am
User avatarMistress of DarknessJoined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:56 pmPosts: 3631Location: gypsy
Totally! I've been trying to gift a scooby to my mom by taking it to her in Michigan in my luggage, but I just don't wanna risk that leakage and you know you can't carry liquids on the plane anymore.

Store your scooby at room temperature at all times. They like to die in heat and cold. And just make sure, as I'm sure you know now, to always keep the scooby moist and covered in either it's own kombucha or white vinegar. Keep a lid on it, so bacteria don't get in. Scoobys are bacteria, and they really are a breading ground for other bacteria. But we only want the kombucha making bacteria. I've had a scooby or two mold.

http://tonyakay.com
http://kayosmarket.com